General Qualifications to Become an Usher
- Able to take directions
- Pleasant personality
- Can take pressure
Ushers wear a white tux-type shirt (shirt must be long-sleeved and can take a bow tie) with a black skirt/slacks/pants. A black jacket or sweater may be worn if required for comfort.
- Arrive 1 hour before each performance. Actual arrival time will depend on the time the doors open and the performance set-up requirements. You will receive an email a few days prior to the performance reminding you of your commitment and specifying the actual arrival time.
- Receive bow tie, cumberbund and ID tag and perhaps gloves/hats.
- Follow the direction of the Head Usher.
- Attach row and seat identification to the floor seat, if needed.
- Stuff program with inserts if required.
- Place a program on the chair of each floor seat.
- Count out 50 programs for each tier section..
- Each usher will be given a location assignment by the Head Usher. Example: Some ushers will be ticket checkers at the door; one or two ushers will be assigned to assist the handicapped, others will be assigned places throughout the room to direct patrons to their seats (not escort them). Ushers assigned to tiered seat sections will hand programs to patrons in their assigned tier. One or two ushers may be asked to assist with the lights and late arrivals.
- Defer to the head usher for any problems or issues.
- After the performance begins, detain late patrons at the back of the room until there is a
natural break in the performance (applause, etc.) and then quietly direct them to their row. (Small flashlights will be provided.)
- Sit in your assigned seat for the performance.
- After the last performance of the show, one floor row at a time, remove the row and seat identifications and place in order in its box. Place the row's box on the last seat in that row, keeping each row separate. The head usher will retrieve the boxes from the last seat in each row.
- Retrieve all programs left on chairs. Discard all folded, crumpled programs but recycle all good programs.
- Return usher ID tags, bow ties, cumberbunds, gloves, and hats.